Three Actions To Take After Being Hurt By An Adult Child Living At Home

Adult children living at home has become more and more common. It is typical to see children living at home when the economy is tight or when the children need to pay off debt. Sometimes living at home can be easy if everyone gets along. If you and your children do not get along or if your child begins to become angry about being at home, things can be hard. Unfortunately, some people can become abusive towards those that they live with. If your adult child has become abusive to you after moving back home, here are three actions to take. 

Find yourself a domestic assault attorney

Being assaulted by your child is a traumatic event. For even the toughest of parents, it is hard to figure out what the next steps should be on behalf of the family. To get help with figuring out what to do, you should see a domestic assault attorney service like Cheryl Brown Attorney at Law. There you will be able to hire a lawyer who will tell you the likelihood of what happens next in your case. Getting this advice will be crucial to figuring out your living circumstances, how the assault will affect your family legally, and any counseling services that you should take advantage of. 

File a police report

Many parents will not want to turn in their children, however, it may be necessary to report domestic abuse. Since abuse only tends to escalate, it is better to file a report as soon as things turn physical. Even if you decline to press charges at the time, there will be a record of the incident. If any further abuse does happen, you will be able to bring up the documentation from any prior events as proof in order to file charges. 

Serve them with an eviction notice

Remaining under the same roof as someone after an assault is a bad idea. Though it may be tough, you should give your child a move out notice. Many times, a physical assault means that you can get a restraining order and they will be ordered to leave the property immediately. If you would prefer, you can serve them with a notice to move out within thirty days. If they do not respond to the move out notice, you and your lawyer can then take the case to court to gain a writ of possession. If you and your child are on good terms, you can instead find a new placement with another family member until they are able to find their own living situation.